If you're looking to tap into one of T-Mobile's low-cost unlimited plans but are feeling squeamish about paying for your phone outright, then you might be curious about the Prism II: a new budget smartphone that's about to hit widespread availability at T-Mobile. The handset has been on our radar for some time -- ever since it was first outed by @evleaks in March -- but just recently became official with a wallet-friendly price of $116 outright. The Prism II arrives as a successor to the original model from Huawei, but with added horsepower and a fresh version of Android. In all, it brings a 3.5-inch HVGA (480 x 320) display, a 1GHz CPU, 512MB of RAM, a 3.2-megapixel camera, 4GB of expandable storage, a 1,750mAh battery and Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean). The Prism II is currently listed as "Coming Soon" on T-Mobile's website, but carrier reps tell us that it'll hit nationwide availability on June 26th... in other words, tomorrow.when.eng("eng.perm.init")
Monday, October 21, 2013
When Vogue asked about Katy Perry's relationship with John Mayer — in the same interview where the singer masterfully destroyed ex-husband Russell Brand — she said the following:
"I was madly in love with him. I still am madly in love with him."
"All I can say about that relationship is that he’s got a beautiful mind. Beautiful mind, tortured soul. I do have to figure out why I am attracted to these broken birds."
Now Katy and John are "lovey dovey" and "cozied up" again. Here's a picture of them holding hands at a Friars' Club party for Don Rickles last night. (Mayer sang Rickles a song.) Someone call Kristen Stewart, Robert Pattinson is back in the play.
Way more convenient than filling travel friendly bottles, Wei Beauty Go's "Sleep Over" kit comes with one skinny tube of their Gelled Oil cleanser and a packet of CC cream. The oil-based cleanser will gently wash off any makeup and dirt. The CC cream, available in three shades, will supply light, skintone-evening coverage and comes in an ultra-thin, resealable sachet. The kit costs $19 and should last you thirty days. Then you're done. No need to feel shopper's remorse if you don't enjoy the product or feel guilty about the leftovers.
Here some some month-long situations ideal for this convenient cleanser and makeup duo:
• A 30-day trial fitness class membership: No need to schlep around your entire makeup kit for an overpriced workout class you'll never go back to anyway.
• A 30-day backpacking trip through anywhere: The products' combined weight is less than a mini-package of Kleenexes.
• A 30-day summer fling: Girl meets boy. Girl stays over boy's house on the regular (it was an immediate love-your-body connection). This is still too soon to leave a bottle of facial cleanser on his sink, so instead, Wei Beauty is there for you. Plus, it's not like he's your ideal boyfriend anyway.
• A 30-day streak of sleeping under your desk office: Maybe you're on deadline and your boss is a psycho. Either way, doesn't mean your skin has to suffer as much as your mental and physical well-being.
• A 30-day trip spent at sea on a yacht with Johnny Depp: It's the stuff of dreams, so you might as well have clean skin. Just don't let him borrow any.
An update for the Twitch.tv app on Android is finally letting users log into their accounts, providing easier access to their personal favorites out of the top 300 live streaming channels. Features still not accounted for include search and chat, however Community Manager Jared Rea mentions they're in the works. According to Rea, development of its Android app -- until three months ago it had gone a year without being updated -- received "yet another incentive" with the launch of the Ouya gaming console. Hit the links below for the new app, info on its development and the top-300 channel restriction that applies whether you're watching on a console or handheld device.when.eng("eng.perm.init")
Imagination reveals key elements of its new MIPS CPU roadmap
MIPS Aptiv generation updated; new 32/64-bit MIPS 'Warrior' generation added to roadmap
London, UK – 26 June, 2013 – Imagination Technologies (IMG.L), a leading multimedia, processor,communications and cloud technologies company, announces new details about its current and future MIPS CPU portfolio.
Imagination has updated its current portfolio of MIPS Aptiv cores, extending each of the Aptiv families with new core configurations. In addition, later this year Imagination will start rolling out an entire generation of new MIPS CPUs, including 32-bit and 64-bit cores. The new MIPS Series5 generation of CPU cores, codenamed 'Warrior,' will incorporate new architectural features and provide best-inclass performance and efficiency for a wide range of applications.
New in MIPS Aptiv
Imagination has extended the award-winning MIPS Aptiv generation of cores, adding a very smallfootprint single-core version to the interAptiv family and a floating point version to the microAptiv family. The high-performance proAptiv, multi-threaded interAptiv and compact microAptiv families of cores, are all available in refined, validated configurations offering industry-leading low power and efficiency for today's designs.
• The proAptiv family comes in configurations from single through to six-core versions with optional hardware floating point.
• The interAptiv family includes hardware multi-threading and now comes in single-, dual- and quad-core configurations with optional floating point. The new single-core version of interAptiv removes the extra logic associated with multi-core coherency and L2 cache controller, providing a highly-efficient, multi-threaded single-core processor.
• The microAptiv family is available in versions targeting microcontrollers and deeply embedded processors, and now incorporates an optional hardware floating point unit for applications including electric metering and motor control.
Imagination will introduce next-generation MIPS 'Warrior' cores later this year. Details of the cores are already being shared with key MIPS customers. The 'Warrior' generation of cores will include 32-bit and 64-bit variants with a focus on superior performance efficiency across the high-end, mid-range and entry-level/microcontroller CPUs. These cores are based on the heritage of MIPS, the industry's most efficient RISC architecture, targeted to deliver the best performance and lowest power consumption in a given silicon area.
Building on the true 32-bit and 64-bit instruction set compatibility of MIPS, 'Warrior' cores will provide binary compatibility from the entry-level to the high-end. 64-bit 'Warrior' cores have no need for excess 'baggage' to execute legacy 32-bit code, and the broad range of tools and applications built for the 64-bit MIPS architecture over the past 20+ years will seamlessly work with 'Warrior' cores.
Key 'Warrior' features will include:
• Hardware virtualization across the entire range of cores, providing compelling benefits for applications from compute-intense enterprise environments to energy efficient mobile platforms
• MIPS hardware multi-threading technology, enabling better overall throughput, quality of service (QoS), and power/performance efficiency in select 'Warrior' cores
• Imagination's unique, extensible and highly scalable security framework for applications including content protection on mobile devices, secure networking protocols and payment services
• MIPS SIMD architecture (MSA), built on instructions designed to be easily supported within high-level languages such as C or OpenCL for fast and simple development of new code, as well as leverage of existing code
• A consistent and comprehensive toolchain across the 'Warrior' series for fast, easy development and debugging
MIPS – the choice in CPU IP
Hossein Yassaie, CEO, Imagination, says: "The industry is longing for a choice in the CPU market, and we are making MIPS a clear and superior alternative. We have an outstanding range of cores available today and that will be complemented by our forthcoming 'Warrior' cores, which will provide levels of performance, efficiency and functionality that go beyond other offerings in the market.
"As we share Imagination's comprehensive, market-leading MIPS core roadmap with customers worldwide, we are receiving an overwhelmingly positive response. With MIPS, we are creating a solution that a wide range of customers can benefit from and commit to for the long term, across applications ranging from tiny embedded devices to 64-bit many-core products for networking and beyond. We are confident that as we roll out the technologies on our MIPS roadmap, we will change the landscape for CPU IP."
Says J. Scott Gardner, senior analyst, The Linley Group / Microprocessor Report: "The MIPS Aptiv CPU core portfolio was named the 'Best Processor IP of 2012' in The Linley Group's annual Analysts' Choice Awards, as a broad portfolio spanning virtually every processor category. The MIPS 'Warrior' generation is designed to include an even greater range of functionality to address rapidly changing markets. If Imagination does as great a job with the new MIPS generation as it has done with PowerVR GPUs, then the industry will have another strong player in the CPU IP space."
Since completing the MIPS acquisition earlier this year, Imagination has completed integration of its CPU engineering teams, nearly doubling the resources working on leading-edge MIPS CPU development. The company is deploying significant investments in MIPS development, including tools, compilers, debuggers, operating systems, software and more. Imagination is developing the MIPS presence in key segments such as mobile by continuing to grow the MIPS ecosystem, and by exploiting open operating systems and emerging trends toward architecture neutrality and portability.
About MIPS processors
Imagination's family of MIPS processors are ideal for products where ultra low-power, compact silicon area and a high level of integration are required. MIPS processor IP cores and architectures range from ultra-low power 32-bit microcontrollers to scalable 32-bit and 64-bit multi-core solutions for advanced application and network processing platforms. Based on a heritage built and continuously innovated over more than three decades, Imagination's MIPS architecture is the industry's most efficient RISC architecture, delivering the best performance and lowest power consumption in a given silicon area. SoC designers can use this efficiency advantage for significant cost and power savings, or to implement additional cores to deliver a performance advantage in the same power, thermal and area budget.
About Imagination Technologies
Imagination Technologies - a global leader in multimedia, processor, communication and cloud technologies - creates and licenses market-leading processor solutions including graphics, video, vision, CPU and embedded processing, multi-standard communications, cross-platform V.VoIP and VoLTE and cloud connectivity. These silicon and software intellectual property (IP) solutions for systems-on-chip (SoC) are complemented by an extensive portfolio of software, tools and ecosystems. Target markets include mobile phone, connected home consumer, mobile and tablet computing, in-car electronics, networking, telecoms, health, smart energy and connected sensors.
Imagination's licensees include many of the world's leading semiconductor manufacturers, network operators and OEM/ODMs. Corporate headquarters are located in the United Kingdom, with sales and R&D offices worldwide. See: www.imgtec.com.
DSquared2's twin designers, Dan and Dean Caten, can always be relied on for hunky, hairless male models and gratuitous shirtlessness. They supplied all of the above in their spring 2014 show, held yesterday in Milan at a club called Alcatraz. The theme, or so one Caten told WWD, was “James Dean crashes his plane on a tropical island and adapts." Well! It was all good until the designers took their bow with unidentified twin boys dressed like miniature versions of themselves, which is ... just bizarre, even for fashion.